Robert has worked as a lawyer at Ekelmans & Meijer since 1987. He became a partner in 1994 and has served as the chairman of the partnership since 2003.
Since 1990, Robert has developed employment law into a work area and specialization within Ekelmans & Meijer. Robert is chairman of the Employment and Employee Participation Law practice group.
After training to become a mediator in 2007, Robert regularly acted as a mediator in employment law disputes in the years that followed, alongside his work as a lawyer. In part because of this experience, Robert knows that a lawyer can ‘make the difference’ for his client, both in negotiations and in the courtroom, if that lawyer is able to unearth the motivations, ambitions and hidden interests of the opposing party.
Robert set up a German Desk in 2008. Robert had a bilingual upbringing and speaks fluent German. The Ekelmans & Meijer German Desk currently consists of around seven German-speaking lawyers and tax specialists who are managed by Robert. The German Desk focuses on assisting and giving legal advice to German-speaking clients (and their lawyers) from Germany and Austria who do business in the Netherlands. The German Desk also assists in the legal and tax aspects of cross-border transactions. The German Desk team consists of experts in the different areas of law in which Ekelmans & Meijer operates.
Robert graduated from Tilburg University.
Robert is an all-round employment law specialist. Robert advises on and conducts legal proceedings in collective and individual employment law questions for companies, board members and senior management.
Recurring topics include the employment-law aspects of of mergers and reorganizations, drawing up redundancy plans, collective labour agreement questions, harmonization and unilateral changes to employment terms and conditions, the employer’s liability, the Transfer of Undertakings Act, the dismissal of board members appointed under the articles of association, the compilation of codes of conduct, and advice and assistance in employee participation processes (works councils and care institution clients' councils).
Robert gives in-house workshops for clients and other interested parties on various employment law topics. Robert also gives seminars in Germany on Dutch employment law topics, often in collaboration with the Dutch-German chamber of commerce (Deutsch-Niederländische Handelskammer). These seminars are in German, of course.
Memberships of professional associations
- Vereniging voor Haagse Arbeidsrecht Advocaten
- Vereniging Arbeidsrecht Advocaten Nederland
- European Employment Lawyers Association
- Deutsch-Niederländische Rechtsanwaltsvereinigung
- Giving assistance regarding employment and employee participation law in change processes and restructuring in the printing industry, the healthcare sector and the insurance industry.
- Giving advice and conducting legal proceedings concerning employment law and corporate law issues that affect the company’s core business.
- Giving advice and conducting legal proceedings in cases of dismissal in connection with ethical issues and fraud/theft.
- Giving advice on compliance and privacy in employment law.